Friday, September 05, 2003

You know, over here, they say that owning a gun is a constitutionally-protected right, and that owning and using a gun is therefore an expression of freedom.
Bollocks is it. And stories like this just go to prove that. Although it is morbidly funny.

Couldn't sleep between two and half-three, so I finished off Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I've been catching up on Gaiman's works recently, sice I've been reading his blogger. I still don't like Sandman, his most famous work, but I've enjoyed some of the other stuff. American Gods deals with ideas that will be familiar to those who've read Sandman, or have seen/read Neverwhere. It's cleverly constructed ("It's in the trunk" springs to mind, although the plot point that refers to did strike me as a bit obvious), and a very entertaining read. Gaiman shows he's adept at characterisation, which really is the book's main strength, as frankly, the plot was a bit shoddy. It didn't go in the direction a bad writer would have taken it, but it was still a bit cackling-comic-book-villain. In fact, it reminded me a lot of the first X-Men film. Really well put together, a real good understanding of the characters, and then a terribly juvenile plot to tie it all together. But I did enjoy it. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment